Pomfret contribute one of the main groups of table fish in India. They are found every where in the tropical sea of the Indo-Pacific region. Though the Pomfret occur all along the coast of India, the main area of abundance are Gujarat, Bombay coasts on the West and Orissa and lower West Bengal on East coast. Pomfret is healthy and deliciously tender when steamed or baked in the oven. As you know, fishes are the rich source of essential fatty acids (omega-3 fatty acids)and minerals. Nutritionist advice fishes in diet mainly for pregnant women. These fishes are high in fat content, provides calcium, vitamins A and D, and BÂvitamins, including Vitamin B12. Increased Vitamin B12 makes it important for the nervous system. It also contains good amount of iodine, critical for the thyroid gland. Thus Pomfret is good for eyesight and healthy hair and skin.
Most famous recipes are Masala Fried Pomfret, Tandoori Pomfret, Crispy Maharashtrian Style Pomfret Cutlets, Pomfret Fish fry, Pomfret Recheado, Pomfret bhujane, Stuffed Baked Pomfret.
Masala Pomfret - PAN Fried Fish
Preparation Time: - 20 min
Cooking Time: - 8~10 min
Servings: - 2 persons
- 400 gm Pomfret fish (2 in no.)
- 2 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 3~4 black pepper corns
- 2 tsp Kashmiri Red Chili powder
- ½ tsp Coriander powder
- 2 tsp Fennel powder
- ½ tbsp. Garam Masala
- Few coriander leaves for garnishing
- 2 whole green chili for garnishing
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil ( I used Mustard oil as I am Bengali and I preferred)
- Salt to taste.
- Wash and clean the fish thoroughly, pat dry them.
- Take a bowl and mix Ginger garlic paste, salt, turmeric powder and lemon juice. Make a paste and rub thoroughly on the pieces of fish on both sides.
- Keep it marinated about 15 minutes.
- Take coriander powder, red chili powder, salt, fennel powder and garam masala. Mix them and apply on the fish.
- Take a non-stick pan and heat oil by turning the burner on high.
- When the oil starts smoking put the pieces of Pomfret one by one. Reduce the heat by turning the burner to medium.
- Fry both sides by flipping till the color changes to brownish.
- Crush the pepper corns and sprinkle them.
- Pour little bit of lemon juice on the fried fish.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and green chili. You can use lemon slices also.